1.11.2008

Danny Entertaining Offers

The other day I was in a small village in Kenya, monitoring the political crisis between the government and opposition groups, when a villager approached me.

In pretty good English he tried to chat me up.

Villager: I noticed your Celtics hat. Are you a fan?

Lex: I sure am. Quite the team this year, huh?

Villager: Yes, but they need a back-up point guard.

Lex: Ya think? They are 29-3.

Villager: They are 29-3 now, but when the playoffs start, they'll be 0-0, and they'll need a veteran presence to settle down the offense and run the half-court set if they hope to have any chance at banner number 17.

Lex: Yeah, I guess you have a point (I then apologized for the pun).

Villager: Come to think of it, they could use a quality big-man off the bench, someone taller than 6-9 who can make an impact at both ends.

Wow, I thought. The Celtics needs are so well known that even in a country torn-apart by political violence people are in touch with the GREEN.

Ok.

You got me.

This never happened.

But why is it that whenever I talk to even the most casual NBA observer, who also happens to know I am a Celtics fan, the aforementioned subjects come up?

Doc Rivers understands too. He's talked to the media about being thin at both positions.

Does Danny know?

In an interview the other night he said he would "listen to any offers" another team might have.

We are this close (thumb and finger less than an inch apart) to assembling a championship squad, and the most Danny can say about these well known needs is that he would be willing to listen to any offers?

Sounds a little passive to me.

In fact, it doesn't sound like Danny at all.

I am highly confident Danny has more contingency plans in place than we have fingers and toes. He's just biding his time and waiting for best deals to materialize.

In the meantime, he can play hard to get. At 29-4, and more than a month until the trade deadline, the only things that matter now are staying healthy and getting better. Doing the former is likely to prove more difficult than achieving the latter.

No comments: