1.01.2008

My Girlfriend could Beat Up Jerry Sichting

With the Houston Rockets coming to town and the Boston Celtics returning to Worldbeater status for the first time in 22 years, those of us inclined to reminisce about the good old days are reminded of three moments in Rockets-Celtics history:

1. The 1981 World Championship
2. The 1986 World Championship
3. The Ralph Sampson-Jerry Sichting fight

The Rockets were bit players, minor obstacles on the way to the two world championships. But they took center-stage in game 5 of the 1986 NBA Finals when 7'4" Ralph Sampson decided he would pick a fight with 6'1" Jerry Sichting.

Down 3-1, the Rockets were winning game 5 by a score of 34-33. Sampson began the game by elbowing Kevin McHale in the mouth. On the Rockets second possession, he planted a forearm on Danny Ainge's kisser.

This time down, Sichting recalled later, "there was just a little contact when I was crossing through the lane. He threw a couple of elbows at my head, and I just turned around and they called a foul. Then all of a sudden, he went beserk and was throwing punches at everybody."

How fearsome was this sight, the 7-4 Sampson coming at him?

"You'd think it would be fearsome," said Sichting. "But I don't know why he even did it. I mean, he fouled me and I didn't foul him and all of a sudden, he's throwing punches. I heard Sampson said it was unfair that he got ejected and I didn't. I guess he blamed me for my forehead hitting his fist."

Before the melee subsided, Sampson swung at Sichting, Sichting swung at Sampson, Sampson swung at Dennis Johnson, Johnson swung at Sampson, and then Bill Walton ran onto the court, grabbed Sampson by the head, put him in a headlock, and body slammed him to floor. So much for the perception of Mountain Man as a non-violent, peace-loving flower child.

As for the Celtics, Sampson's departure from the game sapped the entire team of its energy and focus. The Rockets took control of the game, increasing the lead to 25 on their way to a 111-96 win.

After the game Larry Bird provided the best one-liner:

"I still can't believe Ralph Sampson picked a fight with Jerry Sichting. Heck, my girlfriend could beat up Jerry Sichting."

1 comment:

john marzan said...

i salute you for typing these old articles.