2.10.2008

God, I Love Big Baby

Whether he's setting screens, tipping in teammate's missed shots, keeping Tim Duncan at bay, out-jumping three Spurs to get an offensive rebound and then taking a dribble to the other side of the basket for an easy lay-in, it doesn't matter.

I L-O-V-E B-I-G B-AB-Y!!

A rookie, and probably 6'7" on a good day, Glen Davis, called into duty because of an injury to Kendrick Perkins and foul trouble by Leon Powe, stepped into the pivot against the league's best big man and more than held his own.

My favorite play might have been when an entry pass was being made to TD, and Davis, who was leaning right, stuck out his left hand, fluttered his fingers, and not only broke up the play, but tipped the ball in the other direction, starting a fast break, which the Celtics converted for a lay-up.

But you know what I love the most about Big Baby?

The Spurs game now makes Big Baby two-for-two in big games. He had his coming out party against the Pistons in Detroit, and 9 points, 8 rebounds, 3 steals, and more stellar defense than I could keep track of against the Spurs.

I've always been a firm believer in the cliche that great players make their mark from the opening gun.

Glen Davis is doing exactly that when given the chance.

No comments: