3.07.2008

This Team Tugs at the Heart Strings

Watching Sam Cassell warm up before the game last night was emotional for me, as was watching him sit next to KG on the Celtics bench. This is heady stuff for me. I don't know either of them personally, but I've read mountains of articles about the 2003-04 season. One of my good friends is a Timberwolves fan. I pretty much lived through that entire season vicariously through him.

I know what this reunion means to them, and seeing them together in green just gets to me.

Cassell's embrace with ML Carr also pulled at the heart strings.

The one thing that bonds the entire Celtic family is that generations of Celtics consider each other part of the same family, part of the same team. So when the 2008 Celtics hoist the next banner, it will be as if every other Celtic player who ever lived wins another title as well.

The opposite is true, too.

You can hear it in the way in the way Cassell talks about the retired jerseys and banners hanging in the rafters. He's referred to the "storied franchise" as "we" on more than one occasion.

God, it's great to be a Celtics fan, and it makes those 22 years in the wilderness well worth the wait.

No comments: