3.24.2008

Some Russell-Chamberlin Banter

"Felton (Bill Russell) was a great player, but, damn, he was greedy. I'd tell him that, too. He has 11 rings and only 10 fingers. I asked him as recently as four or five years ago, 'Bill why don't you let me have one of those rings that you can't wear?' He gave me that big cackle of his. When you hear him laugh like that, you wonder whether he's laughing with you or laughing at you.

"I knew right then and there he was laughing at me. So I said, maybe I could show you the finger that I'd use for the ring," at which point you might guess which finger Wilt prominently displayed.

Again, hearty laughter from both legendary big men.

Said Russell: "Norman and I spoke a bit at the hotel earlier today. Actually, I drank coffee while he talked."

The laughter resumed.

No comments: