5.31.2008

The Anchor

As I pondered the 20 games the Celtics spent in the wilderness known as the Eastern Conference Playoffs, I was trying to come up with a theory that could explain why the Cs collapsed in close games on the road.

One hypothesis, a recent one in fact, is that the Celtics often played the end of the game without Kendrick Perkins on the floor. At best, his minutes were spotty for most of the playoffs when the game's end was near.

Kendrick Perkins is not flashy. He's not a huge scorer. He's not even a premier shot-blocker. But he does a little bit of everything. He is this this team's backbone. He is the defensive anchor, and his block of Chauncey Billups pretty much proved my theory.

Kevin Garnett is the best defensive player in the game.

But Kendrick Perkins is the anchor.

A team needs its anchor when the game is on the line.

2 comments:

FLCeltsFan said...

I have been one of Perk's biggest fans since his first season. I love this kid! He has had a break out post season and has been huge in the Celtics wins. I think he will be even more important in the finals as the Lakers haven't met anyone as dominating in the paint as Perk. He will be key.
PS. Glad you're back!!

Lex said...

I'm going to go back to our road losses and see how much Perk played down the stretch.

My guess is little and inconsistently.

You gotta have his presence in the middle when the game is on the line.

It is what keeps opposing teams from driving the paint.

Perk, IMO, has finally established his importance beyond dispute.