8.22.2008

Larry Bird Weekend


What's a Celtics Blog worth without a tribute to arguably the GREATEST BASKETBALL PLAYER IN THE HISTORY OF THE SPORT?


A taste of what lies ahead...


Michael Jordan was great, superb, the Man From Another Planet, and just generally beyond compare.


Nobody would ever dispute that proposition. I mean nobody.


Right?


Well, uh, no.


Give the '92 Michael and a completely healthy '86 Bird four comparable teammates, and I'll happily take my chances with Larry Bird.


One on one, no contest.


Five on five?


Let's get it on.


Did Michael Jordan ever dominate a game without taking a shot?


No, never.


Larry Bird did.


Shooting was part of Larry's game, and not the best part...

6 comments:

The Kid said...

I'll take 1957-1966 Bill Russell and 4 players over both Jordan and Bird.

Lex said...

Really?

You'd take 5 guys over 1979-86 Larry Bird?

I'm ok with that, but who?

The Kid said...

I didn't mean 5 guys overall, but you said you'd take Bird and 4 comparables over Jordan and 4 comparables. I was saying I'd take Bill Russell and 4 comparables over both. The only guys I'd take over 1979-1986 Larry Bird are Russell, Jordan, and 2000-02 Shaq. Magic and Bird is a tossup for me but I'd take Bird.

Lex said...

Oh. My bad!

I get it.

I never saw russell, and obviously 11 titles speaks volumes.

Do you own the 1986 championship dvds?

If so, watch the beginning of game 3 again. Unlike 2008 game 4, bird is doing everything he can to keep the Cs in the game.

It's an amazing display.

The Kid said...

I have the '86 dvds and it's a good series, but my main complaint with them is they take out the halftime commentary and game intros.

Lex said...

Yeah, that would have been nice.