8.13.2008

Red Auerbach: The Harvard Business Review Interview

Part 3

HBR
: What distinguishes the Boston Celtics from the rest of sport?

AUERBACH: It is a family feeling. Two people in particular evidenced it for me. One was Wayne Embry, who played at Cincinnati for nine years and came here to finish his career. He never talks about Cincinnati. He talks about Celtics pride and the Celtics organization. The other was Paul Silas. One of the best compliments I ever got was from Paul Silas. One day he came over to me and said, "I heard a lot about this Celtics pride and I thought it was a bunch of crap"--because he was an old veteran when he came here. "But," he said, "I was wrong. I feel a part of it and this has been the happiest part of my career." It was super. When you hear it from the players, it really makes you feel nine feet tall.

No comments: