10.28.2008

Bill Russell and Jerry West Chat

Jerry West: Another thing I admire about the Celtics teams, particularly, Bill, when you were there, your teams had a certain swagger about them. I’ve often felt that you should never take yourself seriously, but you should take what you do seriously. A tribute to those teams was that they came ready to compete every year. I irritated an old friend of mine, Mr. Chamberlain, by saying that you were the most competitive player of your stature that I had seen during that period of time. There was a certain approach that you guys took that was so uniquely different than other very good teams. We tried to match you but physically sometimes we just couldn’t compete against you. That was my fondest recollection of those guys. Terrific players, great character on the team and they were selfless.

Bill Russell: When Cousy retired …

Jerry West: When Cousy retired I then had to play against K.C. [Jones] and I couldn’t stand playing against K.C.!
Link

No comments: