11.12.2008

Blazers Hope Ainge Puts Them Over the Top

1990-91 Boston Celtics

The Portland Trail Blazers are this year's trendy pick to win the NBA title. Why are so many folks going with the Blazers? Danny Ainge. Prognosticators are certain he is the missing piece to vault Portland over the top.

Yet, Ainge reports, fans nationwide still view him as a Celtic.

"Everywhere I go, even now, fans say to me, 'I love the Blazers, but don't you miss Boston?' " said Ainge last week. "It was that way last season, too, but I just figured that was the Sacramento Syndrome.

"I'm hoping to change their perception. I'm playing with a great team again, and I want them to identify me with their greatness."

Ainge said it was difficult to get a good read on his role in preseason because coach Rick Adelman tested various combinations to determine who would be a regular part of the rotation. "He played the three of us Clyde Drexler and Terry Porter together sometimes, and that got me really excited," said Ainge. "I know I can't count on that, but Rick seems to have confidence in me."

Although the Blazers like the way he fits into their plans, Ainge will have to wait his turn on bringing his contract up to date with the recent salary explosions.

"When I got to Portland, I told them how Sacramento made promises they didn't live up to," said Ainge. "They listened but told me, 'That's really Sacramento's problem, not ours.' "

Ainge has two years left on his contract, but said, "They said they would talk with me after this season. I know I can believe them. They said the same thing to Buck Williams when he got traded here, and they took care of him."

It has been difficult for Ainge to follow the Celtics from the West Coast, but he was well versed in the virtues of Dee Brown and had already caught wind of the fact that old friend Kevin McHale was telling people that Ainge thought Saddam Hussein was a hair stylist.

"I still miss those guys," said Ainge. "Probably more than I should. I ran into assistant coach Jon Jennings when he was scouting our team and told him, 'You and us in the Finals.' "

And what of his other former club, those spine-tingling Sacramento Kings?

"To be honest," answered Ainge, "I haven't given them a second thought."

No comments: