12.11.2008

Lakers Bench Vlads Radmonowhatsit

The ick factor continues.

Seeking to inject something new and different into the mix, Lakers coach Phil Jackson started Luke Walton instead of Vladimir Radmanovic at small forward Wednesday night against the Phoenix Suns.

The results were winning even if Walton's role was limited to a handful of baskets and assists in his first start of the season. Radmanovic did not play a second after failing to start for the first time in 2008-09.


--Long Beach Press-Telegram

I don't know about you, but the phrase that comes to mind here is "the other guy just blinked."

Over the last week the Zen Mistress has (1) criticized the Lakers for being soft on D; (2) complained that Andrew Bynum's unwilling to play through pain; (3) characterized Sasha Vujacic game as little more than wanting another shot, and now has (4) benched their starting small forward, a slow white guy, in favor of a different, but shorter, slow white guy (btw, I thought Trevor Ariza was starting at the 3-spot?).

For an 18-3 team, this is a bit unexpected, no?

Actually, I would say, no, it isn't.

Why?

Because Jackzen understands this season is about one thing--beating the Celtics, and right now they aren't playing the kind of basketball that will beat the Celtics.

You can counter by saying that Cleveland may dethrone Boston in the East, and thus Dr. Phil should chill. Yet were that to happen, the Lakeshow really wouldn't have reason to cheer.
The Cavs and Celtics both play bruising defense, while the Cavs' offense is presently executing more efficiently than is the Celtics's offense. So a Lakers-Cavs matchup this year would look much like the Lakers-Celtics matchup did last year, and the Zen Mistress isn't really motivated to be on the receiving end of another arse whoopin'.

6 comments:

Lex said...

Said Radmanovic: "Obviously, it's a big shock. Nobody said anything to me.

"At least, at this level, we should talk and let each other know what's going on. That's got me disappointed.

Lex said...

Trouble in doggy land...

Lex said...

"I found out at the shoot-around, but besides that nothing. ... I expected at least some explanation."

Lex said...

Not only didn't Radmanovic start, he didn't play.

"I'm not really happy with it, but obviously that's coach's decision," he said of the demotion. "I'm happy for Luke. I'm friends with Luke, so as much as it's hard for me, on the other hand, I'm really happy he's going to get a chance to play and hopefully he'll play better than I did."

Radmanovic had three turnovers against Sacramento and had not been playing great defense.

"I didn't get any heads-up or explanation, so I can't really tell you anything regarding the lineup change," he said. "But I'll be ready. I'm on call."

Walton had fallen out of Jackson's rotation and was averaging career-low statistics across the board.

Just two seasons ago, he started 60 games and averaged 11.4 points, five rebounds and 4.3 assists a game, numbers that earned him a six-year, $30-million free-agent contract in July 2007.

--LA TIMES

Vlads and Luke--two very big, very long contracts.

Lex said...

How did you hear about it?

"Luke, take Vladi's spot," Radmanovic said.

According to Radmanovic, that's the only communication that came forth.

Anonymous said...

Obviously Rad hasn't realized Zen Master does his communicating through the media otherwise he'd have seen this coming. Lakers starting to unravel much sooner than I thought.