1.24.2009

Da Glove on Garnett

Garnett shouldn't be starting. Some guys out there are playing better than him. Chris Bosh [sh]ould take Garnett's spot; he's playing way better than him.

--Boston Globe

Red Auerbach had a conversation with Bill Russell when he first joined the Celtics and the same conversation with Bill Walton when he did. Both players expressed concern that their pay would be tied to statistics.

"That's not how it works with the Celtics," Red replied.

"At the end of the season, my only question is whether you helped us win, and I think I already know the answer to that question."

It strikes me as odd that no Celtic fans, no talking heads, and no writers have called out KG because he's not putting up bigger numbers. But because Chris Bosh's numbers are slightly better than KG's numbers (23/10 v. 16/9), Gary Payton thinks Chris Bosh deserves to start ahead of KG in the All-Star game.

Da Glove always impressed me as a savvy player, wise to the real world of hoops.

Obviously, he fooled me on that one.

4 comments:

FLCeltsFan said...

I have no doubt that should he want to, KG could put up much bigger numbers to the detriment of the team. I also have no doubt that Gary Payton is an idiot. Seems to me that he has some sort of vendetta going for the Celtics for not bringing him back.

Lex said...

Yup. KG could put up any numbers he wanted. But the only numbers that count are the ones on the scoreboard at the end of the game. Wilt and MJ proved no amount of individual scoring is enough to win a championship.

You need help.

I think you are right about the vendetta. Pathetic.

Michael said...

The funny thing is by the numbers, Bosh really isn't playing better (or that much better) than Garnett: he plays 6 more minutes a game but only averages .7 rebounds more. Same assists, lower steals, assists, FG%, FT%. Basically he averages more points and maybe slightly less TOs per 38 minutes (I didn't bother to calculate it).

By Hollinger's PER, Bosh is about 1.9 better, but I believe Hollinger even gave KG the nod due to his defense and intangibles. You'd think a player like Payton who literally made a (nick)name for himself due to his defensive prowess could see this. But I guess being an idiot will do that for you.

Lex said...

The best PER I saw was some blogger who compared Vinnie Johnson's PER to DJ's.

Vinnie was better!!!