7.27.2009

And They Wonder Why Newspapers are Dying

So who is more intense?

I would have to say I am, because [Garnett] can control his emotions,” Wallace joked. “Of course everyone knows my history as far as technical fouls and this and that, but I don’t think you can match the intensity that either one of us brings to the floor.”

Sheed Continued:

I would say the one difference between Kevin and myself is, I would say he is a better rebounder and I’m a better jump-shot shooter,” Wallace said. “Everything else is the same as far as the heart, the adrenaline going into the game and wanting to win. Everything is the same except those two little differences.”

Garnett Interjected:

“When you are in the league for as long as we have been, you go through a dark time, and I was feeling him, so I just reached out real softly and kind of discreet to just see how he was doing,” Garnett said. “Obviously the relationship has always been there. I voiced my opinion on how much I wanted to play with him. I don’t really chase too many people.

LINK

Hmmm.

Look familiar? Yeah, me too.

Ok. A couple of questions.

First, who do you think the market is for an article like this?

Yup, Celtics' fans. Maybe even die-hard Celtics' fans.

Second, what are the characteristics of a die-hard Celtics' fan?

Right again. Voracious appetite for Celtics' news 24/7.

So then how do we explain a newspaper's decision to trot out some old quotations from a press conference that took place a month ago, slap on today's date, and expect anyone other than a handful of people to find the article worth their time to read?

Newspapers need to figure out how to survive and thrive in the age of the Internet. Surrounding recycled quotes with a new fact or two isn't gonna get 'er done. You could say that's exactly what I do, isn't it? True, but I'm not trying to make a profit out of this website.


No comments: