7.18.2009

The Makeover Continues

Like I was saying the other day over at MVN, perhaps the most fascinating thing to happen this summer was something that didn't happen at all, namely the proposed draft day trade of Brian Scalabrine, Tony Allen and a choice of J.R. Giddens or Bill Walker for the Memphis Grizzlies' 36th pick and cash considerations. A lot of folks thought Danny had his eye on someone at pick #36. Not me. I figured Danny was trying to unload three players for one, and since the one player he'd get in return was a non-guaranteed second round pick, it was really three players for zero. Next you throw in the fact that Gabe Pruitt has a team option this year, the aforementioned proposed trade told us that Danny's goal was to totally remake the roster from spots 6-15.

Well, last night we heard the other shoe hit the floor.

Like any good (read "bad") Celtics' fan, I'm now obsessing over who were gonna lose in the Marquis Grissom, er, I mean Daniels deal. Losing Brian Scalabrine would have concerned me more before his third concussion of the season last year sent him to the same type of doctor that told Troy-Aikman to hang it up, meaning whatever reason there is to love or appreciate Vanilla Thunder is now a fleeting reason because of the brain issues (kind of ironic, don't you think, since Danny's brain doctor told Danny to sign Brian because he had a good brain type. I wonder what the brain doctor would say about Scal's brain today?).

Which brings us to the burning question of the next three days: what else will Larry exact from Danny in this deal?

Here's my break down:

I think Tony Allen would be a tough MoFo if his body didn't let him down and make him such a wuss. Gabe Pruitt is a preacher's kid, and thus where nature has left Tony Allen lacking bodily resilience, nurture has left Gabe Pruitt lacking a killer intensity. Between JR Giddens and Bill Walker, I say Giddens is the more talented, while Walker is tougher, physically and mentally, which thus makes him more of a Doc-Rivers guy.

So if we're gonna lose someone other than Scal, I guess the pecking order is to lose Gabe first, Tony Allen second, Giddens third, and Walker fourth. What say you?

3 comments:

FLCeltsFan said...

I'd kind of like to keep Scal. I'd like to get rid of Tony. It would be ok to send Tony and Pruitt for Daniels. I just read a rumor that Danny is interested in TJ Ford. If that is true, then Pruitt is definitely on the block. I bet Larry wants the white guy though.

Lex said...

Doesn't Scal's brain injury make him a wild card as to whether and how much he can keep playing?

FLCeltsFan said...

I think his Jackie Moon headband makes it ok for him to continue to play. Maybe another head injury would knock him out. But, he came back and played well after the injuries.