8.15.2009

Celts Score 152 Points in Win

C's Improve to 23-4
1990-91 Boston Celtics

When the Celtics won their eighth straight Wednesday night, 152-132 over Indiana, guard Brian Shaw and forward Ed Pinckney enjoyed their best scoring nights of the season.

Shaw's 26 points, including his first NBA 3-pointer, tied his single-game high, while Pinckney had a season-high 14 points. Shaw, according to Celtics coach Chris Ford, is a more mature, confident and skilled player than the one who left the Celtics after the 1988-89 season for a year in Italy.

"His outside shot is better, too, than when he first arrived here two years ago, and now it's his show out there. He's the point guard who directs everyone," Ford said after yesterday's scrimmage at Hellenic College. The Celtics left for Atlanta yesterday, and Ford knows the Hawks -- who had to complete a suspended game in Boston Sunday and were blown away -- would like to settle the score tonight.

"We just have to continue to do the things we've been doing and we'll be all right," he said. "Right now, everyone's contributing."

Pinckney, who had been relegated to spot duty, mainly in the latter stages of safely-tucked-away games, saw significant minutes in the first half against the Pacers.

"Ed had shown signs in practice and in the two games prior to last night of getting back into a rhythm. I felt it was time to give him a look-see and some significant minutes early in the game," said Ford. "I liked what I'd been seeing of him, and I called his number."

Pinckney, who had nine rebounds -- including seven offensive ones -- in 19 minutes, said he has felt like a fan recently because he was spending so much time on the bench. "But I had hoped to build things up to the point where I would get the call earlier," he said.

"Still, I was surprised when I got in. I'm just trying to play good, sound defense and let everything else flow from there. I felt that whatever time I did get had to be productive time. I've still got some things to work on. I've missed a lot of games, but I'm going to continue to work the way I have."

No comments: