9.05.2009

Artest Wouldn't Take Pay Cut to Play for the Purple

June 2008

One player the Lakers probably won't be acquiring is Sacramento forward Ron Artest, who holds a one-year player option for $7.4 million, but Artest has said he would opt out only if he could make more money as a free agent. The most the Lakers could offer would be the mid-level exception of about $6 million a year for up to five years.

Artest, 28, visited the Lakers' locker room during the NBA Finals and has spoken glowingly of Kobe Bryant in the past, but he told the Mason and Ireland Show on KSPN-AM (710) that it "looks like I'm going to be a King next year" before saying he would "never" take less money to play for a championship contender.

"Not in a million years," he said. "Actually, not in 10 million years."

LINK

4 comments:

FLCeltsFan said...

Artest is an idiot. He and the Lakers deserve each other.

The Kid said...

What kills me is when I see people comparing Ron Artest to Dennis Rodman. Rodman was an integral part of 5 championship teams and he really made his name with outstanding playoff defense since his rookie year.

Artest has never done anything like that in a playoff series, and when I think of him in the playoffs it's always that series where Pierce burned him back in '03.

Lex said...

Well, I'm glad you both agree. Believe it or not I loved Dennis Rodman. Greatest rebounder I ever saw, and that includes moses and cowens. No way Artest is as good defensively or reboundwise.

But I'm not sure he's a timebomb either.

If he is, I'll be plenty happy.

Just not sure he is.

FLCeltsFan said...

He has been a distraction to every team he has been on. Why should he stop now? I just can't wait so see what happens when Ron starts taking shots away from Kobe.