9.15.2009

Bird Negotiations Continue

Summer 1983

Celtics general manager Red Auerbach and agent/attorney Bob Woolf will resume the Larry Bird contract talks Tuesday. As you've probably heard by now, Bird is entering the final year of a five-year pact. Woolf has stated that unless Bird is signed to a new deal by Oct. 1, he will test the free agent waters next summer.

Meanwhile, Bird is busy fishing and playing basketball in French Lick, Ind. "I'm not interested in contract talks," says Bird. "I'm tired of hearing about contracts. If they want to sign me, they'll sign me." Bird makes it clear that he doesn't want to engage in the type of season-long contract hassle that plagued Kevin McHale in 1982-83.

"This is my fifth year and I figured they'd have something done by now," says Bird. "I'm not going to talk about it all through the season. I'd rather do it now or take the consequences of what happens. I don't think you can have good rapport with everyone during the season if you're not signed. "I'm not the type to hold a grudge, but it's a hard situation for everybody. Things get said and everybody uses the press and I don't want to get involved in all that. I just want the bottom line."
Bird, who makes $650,000 per year under his present pact, wants a contract that will pay him approximately $2 million per year for the next six or seven years. Moses Malone, the NBA's highest-paid player, earns $2.3 million per year plus incentives.

Bird says, "I feel Moses Malone should be the only player paid more than I am. I'm not looking for more than Moses - $25 million or anything like that. But I think I'm in the same category. "I want to stay in Boston. I know they need me and I need them. They know what I'm worth - the same as the other players in the top class. I think Moses Malone is the best player in the league, but I'm up there with Magic
Johnson and Julius Erving and Marques Johnson and the other top players."

Bird didn't mention McHale, who'll be making $1 million per season for each of the next four years. "I frankly think Larry should get more than Moses Malone," Woolf says, adding, "The present situtation (Boston's offer) is unacceptable. If there
were no change, I would be pessimistic. We are running out of days and I'm going to be on the road. Hopefully, we'll have something more meaningful in our next meeting."
Bird talked with Auerbach three weeks ago and recalls, "I asked Red and he gave me his word I'd be signed before the season, so I know it'll be taken care of . . . They've had four years and a summer, so they should be able to do something."

It is unlikely any contract will be signed before new Celtics owners Donald Gaston, Alan Cohen and Paul Dupee gain league approval. A league vote on the transaction is expected before the end of the month. Meanwhile, negotiations continue and Woolf says, "It's my understanding that the new owners will accept anything Red recommends."

Bird says he's in top shape and optimistic about the 1983-84 Celtics. Here are a few of his thoughts:

- On K. C. Jones - "I know the type of guy he is and the knowledge he has. He has total respect of all the players, which is one of the things that we needed."

- On the 4-0 sweep at the hands of the Bucks: "I know what happened and I ain't gonna talk about it. I was more disappointed in the team effort than in coach (Bill) Fitch and all that other stuff. We didn't live up to our potential. You just don't take the type of team we had and get beat four straight. Anytime you get swept by a team you know you can play with, it's embarrassing."

- On leadership: "This year, someone has to take the leadership role and say, Look guys, it's time to get goin' again.' It's going to be different that last year, when I saw guys start to go their own ways. We've got to have more unity."

- On Dennis Johnson: "We've got four guards that can play. Dennis Johnson and Quinn Buckner are the two best defensive guards in the league. I look for that combination to help us out."

- On new ownership: "Owners can't score points. We respected what Harry (Mangurian) did and feel bad that he had to go out like he did. I've never met or talked to these new owners. I was sort of hoping that other guy (prospective buyer Steve Belkin) would get the team, because he sounded like he really appreciated me and wanted to sign me right away."

- On Rick Robey: "It's like losing a brother. I just hope they put him at forward and he gets to guard me. I'll get 50 off him."

No comments: