10.13.2009

KG Still Hears McHale

“As a person who takes a lot of pride in working hard, I’ve never in the past heard the word ‘rest’ a lot,” he said. “From my first years in the league, working with [Kevin] McHale, he always taught us – me and Steph [Marbury], we were the two honor students – that if you want go get better, you have to work. And I have never forgotten that. And that has always been in the back of my head."

--Peter May

The cross-generational thing is one of the best parts about being a Celtics' fan. I've told you all about the various old games I've watched recently. It's literally like watching home movies. Celtics-Bucks. Fourth grade. The memories come flooding back. Celtics-Suns. Sixth Grade. Celtics-Sixers. Tenth grade. So forth. There's a reason we all use terms like "we," "us," and "our" when talking about the Celtics.

We're all part of the Celtics' family. We've been there all this time, right along with them. So when a current star talks about hearing the words of a former star in his head, over and over, it strikes a chord.

No comments: