10.26.2009


These experienced and deep Celtics bear a resemblance to the 1969 team that captured the NBA title for the 11th time in 13 years. This team could learn a lot from that one. Those 1969 Celtics bided their time during the regular season, grabbing the Eastern Division’s fourth and final playoff berth, then turned up the intensity a notch and knocked off the higher-seeded Sixers, Knicks and Lakers to claim the championship.

LINK

Well, the 1969 team was a veteran team, and KG's defensive skill-set does resemble Russell's. Beyond that, I'd hesitate to rely on the 1969 team as a precedent. Let's just say if the Celtics even come close to securing the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, something will have seriously gone wrong in beantown.

4 comments:

FLCeltsFan said...

That was the team that captured my attention and turned me into a Celtics fan. I agree that this team will do much better than the final spot, even resting one starter a night. But the thing that set that team apart in those playoffs was their desire and fight. They just refused to give up. I expect that same desire and fight from this team.

Lex said...

Yeah, the 69 team seemed to be saving themselves. That's fine and well. But I'd like to see a little more desire during the regular season from this year's squad.

FLCeltsFan said...

I'm not so sure they were saving themselves. I think it was more like they gave it their all during the season and then reached down deep inside for the playoffs and lifted themselves to another level.

Lex said...

That could be. I'm reading Dynasty's End. The books hasn't really taken a position on the subject yet.