3.07.2010

Ainge Talks of his Team's "Collapse"

“Whatever the reason for our collapse, it’s not being able to sustain,” the Celtics president of basketball operations said. “But it’s not the game plan or the mental preparation. It’s the mindset and the ability to fight through adversity. I think this is on the players.”

LINK

Interesting choice of words. The 2009-10 Boston Celtics are far from a dominating team. But I'm still not willing to characterize their losses to Cleveland by 20 at home and the subsequent New Jersey humiliation as a "collapse." A collapse to me sounds like the foundation gave way, and the house crumbled into the resultant crater. We just lost a couple of games, one against a very good team and one against a very bad team.

We've won other games that mattered.

The season has been disappointing, but the degree of disappointment depends on your expectations at the outset. I predicted a 59-win season. Say we only win 54. Is that a significant difference?

Danny's probably frustrated. I get that. We all have been. But as he later said in the same article, this year's team will be judged by how it performs in the playoffs. He also recalled that even the vaunted '86 team lost a lot of big leads, too.

1 comment:

Lex said...

Turns out I only predicted 58 wins.

http://lexnihilnovi.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-annual-pointless-win-prediction.html