10.25.2012

From "Transitional" to "Positionless"



Doc Rivers, whose lineups may be less position-specific than ever this season thanks to the versatility of his players, had a hand in the NBA Competition Committee’s decision to leave the center position off the All-Star ballot this season. Voters will only select backcourt and frontcourt players.

LINK

Back when I first started practicing law, I remember talking to opposing counsel outside the courtroom before we went mano-a-mano. He said "I wish there weren't any rules of evidence or procedure. I should just be able to present my case and you your's." That was kind of a radical notion, I thought. I doubt that idea will ever get very far in the law (unless by "law" you include mediation etc), since those rules sometimes have roots in the time of Henry IV.

But in basketball, we may be approaching something similar. You play your best guys, I'll play my best, and let's see who wins.

Damn, that is kind of radical.


Doc seems to be looking for every opportunity to just throw compatible and effective combinations on the floor, without the need to worry about having a "center" or a "point guard" included. Thus, there may be times when Doc's combinations consist of three 2 guards and 2 power forwards, and maybe even four 2 guards. He certainly didn't invent this approach. But he seems to be on the cutting edge of giving formal recognition to it.

2 comments:

Lex said...


“I just like us as a whole,’’ he said. “I like the fact we have a lot of groups, it’s just going to take time for each group to find their identity when they’re on the floor.

Lex said...

no first or second team

just "groups" of players