10.26.2012

Jesus Continues to Stir the Pot (and reveal groundbreaking news)



When Allen decided to accept the Heat's offer, he called Ainge, texted KG and left town.

"Two years ago when I was a free agent, the whole organization sent me a text asking me to come back," Allen said. "This time it was a little more subdued."

This time, while Pierce and KG texted their support, and Ainge initiated dialogue at the stroke of midnight, Rivers stayed out of the negotiations. Their relationship, once strong, faltered in Allen's final months wearing Celtic green.

The friction between Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo was apparent, but Allen downplayed it. "I never question a guy that wants to win, especially on my own team," he said.

"Doc never called and said, 'We want you to come back,'" Allen said. "I can't say I expected him to do that. It's hard to say what the protocol is in those situations."

"No, no, it wasn't like that," Allen said. "I didn't want to go anywhere. It hurt my family to leave. But once they loaded the roster, got Jason Terry, signed everyone but me, you could tell it was, 'We can bring Ray back, but if he doesn't come back, we're all set.'

"I don't know why they [stopped using me] as much," he said.

According to Allen, during that 2007-08 season, which resulted in a championship for the Celtics, Boston discussed a swap of Allen for Tracy McGrady. "I got word of it through back channels," Allen said.

"I went to Paul's room, and he said, 'Damn, I almost got traded to New Jersey,' and I told him, 'I thought I did get traded to Memphis,'" Allen said. "What could we do? We just laughed about it." Ainge acknowledged Allen's version of events regarding talks with Memphis but said Pierce "was never going to New Jersey." "The Nets had a No. 3 pick, and they talked to us for about 30 seconds about Paul," Ainge said. "It was never close.
"

LINK

Damn, how did we Celtics fans miss out on all these trade rumors? Pierce to New Jersey. Jesus to Phoenix. And wait. He apparently saved the best for last. Danny Ainge almost broke up the Big Three midway through the Celtics champsionship run in 2007-08 by offering Ray Allen for Tracy McGrady. This is some amazing stuff.

I sure hope Ray Allen starts tweeting more around the trade deadline. The dude is plugged in!

No comments: