9.19.2018

The Life of Riley


 
October 15, 1991
It's usually misleading to read anything into exhibition results, but when you're 2-0, and you've won by margins of 26 and 21 points, something must be going right.

That's what Pat Riley's New York Knicks have done. They wasted Dallas, 117-91, and Washington, 112-91. They host the Celtics tonight at Madison Square Garden and then rendezvous in Hartford tomorrow night for a rematch. 

Riley already has achieved the unthinkable. Or, at least, he said he had.

"Patrick Ewing is doing everything we have asked," said Riley, "and, believe it or not, he's doing it with a smile on his face. He has come in with a real open mind and an open spirit."

Ewing unsuccessfully tried to finagle his way out of New York last summer via a contract loophole. It remains to be seen how the fans will embrace him in his MSG debut, but it could be ugly.

Celtics assistant coach Jon Jennings saw the Knicks destroy the Bullets and had this summation: "Riley has them running. They are aggressive and a vastly different team than they were last year. I think he has them converted."

Asked about the Knicks' attitude, Riley said, "I just feel what they went through last year and the year before . . . I was going to be very truthful and honest. I heard a lot of negative things. But those things can make you stronger, and what I sensed more than anything was that these players really, desperately, want to win. And I hope I can help them."

The feel-good attitude seems to have worked so far.

"This is the best atmosphere I've been in since I've been here," said Gerald Wilkins.

Extra baggage

John Bagley practiced yesterday and will be available for duty tonight. Chris Ford said yesterday that Bagley reported to camp weighing 223, which would be at least 15 pounds more than the Celticswanted. "He's playing well, but we need him to lose some weight," Ford said . . . Michael Smith returned to practice after sitting out Sunday night's session with an infected toe . . . Ford said he'd like the Kevin Gamble impasse resolved soon: "I like Kevin Gamble. I'd like to see him here. He's an important part of the team. I'd like to get him here as soon as possible." There was nothing new on that front. The sides haven't spoken since last week.

No comments: