12.21.2018

Celtics Land DJ

June 28, 1983

CELTICS GET DJ TO TUNE OFF TONEY

Is Dennis Johnson the antidote to the 76ers' Boston Strangler? Is that why the Celtics reached out for him yesterday, obtaining the 6-3 guard from Phoenix for backup center Rick Robey?

And is it safe to invite Red Auerbach and John Sandquist to the same party? Or even the same press conference?



The Celtics gave up two second-round draft choices, and received first-and second-round picks from the Suns in a deal that may have some fascinating spinoffs. One immediate rumor had the Suns interested in signing free agent guard Paul Westphal.

''Of course we have a glut (of guards),'' said Celtics coach K.C. Jones. ''We'll have to see. Red is on the chessboard.''

Auerbach, the wily general manager, is busy trying to salvage Kevin McHale, who appears to have been offered most of Madison Avenue to join New York. Red grumbled the other day that Sandquist, McHale's agent, was as interested in personal publicity as anything else.

''As far as I'm concerned,'' Sandquist said, ''it's sour grapes. If anyone wants to find out about my performance, they should check with Kevin McHale.''

It was easier to check the reasons for the Boston-Phoenix deal. The Suns wanted some bulk and a backup center, the Celtics wanted somebody, anybody to guard Andrew Toney.

''Am I the answer to Andrew Toney?'' DJ said. ''I don't know. I don't know if anyone can stop him. I've had some success against him, he's had some success against me. But I'll tell you something . . . When I'm on the court, he'll feel my presence.''

The Celtics, at least for the moment, are content to have a presence in the first round. They now will choose 21st today, and apparently are searching for a reserve center, perhaps Mark West of Old Dominion or Greg Kite of Brigham Young.

No comments: