2.15.2019

Perkins Eyes Gasol

June 2008

Perkins Eyes Gasol

Kendrick Perkins built a reputation as a solid defensive big man in the first three playoffs series.

Now he has a chance to cement it.



After playing a key role in the Celts defeating the Detroit Pistons in the Eastern Conference finals while doing a bang-up job on both Antonio McDyess and Rasheed Wallace, Perkins now must turn his attention toward stopping Los Angeles center Pau Gasol.

As Perkins was being the monster in the paint against the Pistons, the 7-foot, 250-pound Gasol was shredding the San Antonio Spurs for 13.2 points and 9.6 rebounds a game in the Western Conference finals.

As you might expect, Perkins took notice of that fact.

``I thought he was the key to the San Antonio series,'' Perkins said yesterday at the Celtics practice facility in Waltham. ``I thought he killed them on the glass. He's very long. So many teams put so much attention on Kobe (Bryant) that it opens it up for him and Lamar Odom to get out there for rebounds. I've been thinking about that a lot.''

Gasol has a couple of inches on Perkins, but the Celtics center has 30 pounds on the Spaniard.

``I've got to use my advantage. He's a little longer than me, so I've got to use my size and make sure I keep a body on him at all times,'' Perkins said.

As much respect as he has for Gasol, Perkins does think he's acquitted himself well against similar competition.

``I don't think he's any different than Rasheed and McDyess,'' Perkins said. ``Actually, I think Rasheed and McDyess are a tough tandem because they can nail the 3 and shoot the 17- and 15-foot jump shots automatically. I thought last series was a good test, and we need to get ready for this series.''

While Perkins has been making a name for himself on the defensive end, he also leads the team in shooting percentage in the playoffs at 66.7, going 22-of-32 in his past five games. He hasn't been shy shooting the short jumper.

``(Coach) Doc (Rivers) told me that I've got to shoot it. I've got to take that shot. They've been leaving me wide open at the end of the shot clock, so I've got to be able to take that shot,'' he said.

Perkins always plays at high intensity, something that got him in a little trouble against the Pistons when he was rung up for technicals in the last two games.

``I still want to play with a lot of emotion,'' he said. ``This is what got us here, so I'm not changing anything.''

No comments: