3.19.2019

Auerbach Enjoys Watching 17th Banner

June 17, 2008

Coasting on air

Randy Auerbach, daughter of late Celtics patriarch Red Auerbach, enjoyed watching the team win the title with her friends back home in Los Angeles. After the game, she said via e-mail: "Danny [Ainge] and [Rivers] and the owners and the team have embodied all the values and integrity that my dad brought to the Celtics and clearly it's a formula that works! My sister and I are both thrilled and especially happy that my nieces and nephew were able to experience a championship as we were able to growing up. It would have given my father immense satisfaction to hang number 17, particularly at the expense of Mr. Jackson and company, and to have so many Celtic alumni there to represent the first 16!"

Scalabrine time

During a lull in postgame interviews, reserve forward Brian Scalabrine stepped to the podium, unsolicited, to give the media some words about their predictions for the NBA Finals. "Let me break it down for you guys," Scalabrine said to laughter. "A long, long, long time ago, we committed to this team. We committed to the defensive end. We had the personnel to do it. How, when you guys consider yourselves NBA experts, can you pick the Lakers to beat us in six games? We're on TV all the time, so it's not like you don't get to watch us play. You guys were so convincing that I maybe thought in my heart that, wow this is going to be a series. I have questions for you guys. We won 66 games, we had the best defense in the NBA. I just didn't see it."

Rolling this out

A rolling rally is scheduled for tomorrow at 11 a.m. . . . Pierce played 38 minutes 35 seconds, continuing a trend of huge minutes . . . Asked if it was OK to refer to him, Pierce, and Allen as "The Big Three," Kevin Garnett said, "No. Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett. Y'all got to get us a new nickname. I know you're all more creative than 'The Big Three.'“

No comments: