3.17.2019

Rondo may have been Game 6 MVP

June 17, 2008

Rondo may have been Game 6 MVP

With 7:10 left in the fourth quarter last night, Rajon Rondo left the game to a rousing ovation from the TD Banknorth Garden crowd. It was a performance worthy of one of his new Reebok commericals. Yes, the Lakers had been Rondo'd

The little point guard had been questioned all season - and all series - but he came up big in Game 6 of the NBA Finals. After totaling just 16 points and 6 assists in the three games in Los Angeles and playing just 23 combined minutes in Games 4 and 5 after he injured his left ankle in Game 3, Rondo submitted a playoff-career-high 21 points and added 8 assists (against just one turnover) and 6 steals as the Celtics defeated the Lakers, 131-92, to capture their 17th NBA title

"Before the game, I was going through a lot, especially not playing well on the road," said Rondo. "I talked to Ray [Allen] before the game, just to let my frustration go, and he said I could still be a threat for the team, and I tried to go out there and still be aggressive - no matter how many shots I missed

"I think I started 0 for 4, but I just kept attacking the rim. I just wanted to keep making Kobe [Bryant] play defense. I didn't want to give him a night off like I did the first couple of nights on the road."
Rondo had 10 points in the third quarter when the Celtics ensured that there would be no miraculous comeback for the visitors like the one they had spun in Game 4 in Los Angeles. He drove to the basket fearlessly and even picked the pocket of Bryant, who after commiting a hard foul tapped the precocious point guard on the head, the ultimate sign of respect from the NBA MVP.

No comments: