4.29.2019

Robey Knew He could Play

March 25, 1980

ROBEY KNEW HE COULD PLAY - NOW OTHERS DO

Rick Robey has a Teen Angel face, that certain Elvis Presley look of innocence that seems so strikingly incongruous in his rugged line of work. The Celtic center's Kentucky intonations still leap just as high when he and Larry Bird or Jeff Judkins discuss Darrell
Griffith in particular and today's college players in general. Especially when they recall the time Griffith made a dunk in warmups by first placing the ball on the backboard, then taking it off and reverse-dunking it on the other side. "Geez, can you see him in the Garden if he did that?" marveled Robey.



Like Griffith this year, Robey was one of those happy-go-lucky kids of March whose talents were showcased in the NCAA tournament. His moment in the spotlight came in 1978, when millions watched Kentucky win the national championship and the 6-foot-10 center reap accolades as a top player - something the pro scouts already knew but maybe the general basketball public didn't.

He became the third pick of the 1978 draft, a bona fide bonus baby with the Pacers. "I first met Rick in some kind of all-star game in Kentucky and we became friends," said Bird. "He likes to have fun and I like to have fun. In fact, Indiana had talked to me, but I stayed (at Indiana State) my last year, so I told them about Rick, and that they should draft him."

But Robey's stay in Indiana was disappointing, and he was dealt to the Celtics for Billy Knight in February last season. After spending his first half-season with the Celtics under the tutelage of player-coach Dave Cowens, whose game he has always admired, Robey entered this season under a new coach - Bill Fitch - and practically a new team. And like the team, he had something to prove.

"I thought I got my first oppurtunity this year to show what I could do when Dave was injured," he said. "I got the playing time and the experience. In Indiana, I was getting 28 minutes and I thought I had proven I could be a starting center, but they traded me when I thought I was coming into my own. But I knew it wasn't the end of my career.

After Cowens suffered a midseason foot injury, Robey started at center for the next 25 games. And in his last 32 games, he has averaged 15.6 points and 8.2 rebounds in 31.9 minutes. "This season, under a new coach I wasn't too sure what my situation was going to be," he said. "Now it feels good to be a part of the team and being able to contribute." Robey didn't feel he contributed Sunday, when he could muster only seven points and three rebounds in the Celtics' 101-96 loss to the New Jersey Nets. Still, George Johnson, the Nets' center and one of the NBA's leading shot blockers, offered some kind words about Robey. "I was impressed with the blend of the younger and older players like Robey and Cowens," Johnson said. "Robey plays better than most centers right now. They gave us a clinic the last time in our place."

Now it has come down to whether younger players like Robey and veterans like Cowens can mesh well enough down the stretch for the Celtics to hold off the 76ers and claim the Atlantic Division title. With Washington - a team that is hungry for a playoff spot - staring them in the face tonight, the Celtics will certainly have to put their best foot forward. Philadelphia is now breathing down their necks, trailing them by two games with four remaining in the regular season. Boston, Philadelphia and Atlanta are already assured of playoff spots. The Bullets (37-41) are a half- game behind the New York Knicks (38-41) in the race for the sixth and last Eastern Conference berth, with

Cleveland and Indiana still in the running.

Robey thinks the Celtics can hang on for the title. "Pretty much this team is made up of the same type of people," he said. "People who get along well with each other. That's what so good about the team this year. And that's why we will pick ourselves up and come through. "We've still got a two-game lead. And there's no way we should be down on ourselves. We still have the best record in the league."

No comments: