5.30.2019

Ainge Fills Henderson's Void

October 2, 1984

AINGE UP FRONT FOR BACKCOURT

The Celtics apparently feel little pressure to accommodate free-agent guard Gerald Henderson because they believe there are other people who can fill Henderson's green shoes.



When legend-in-residence Red Auerbach says, "We got a team out here that can play, I'm not worried about who's not here," one thinks of Danny Ainge as the man most capable of replacing Henderson.

Quinn Buckner, Scott Wedman and Carlos Clark are also available for backcourt duty, but with Henderson sidelined indefinitely, Ainge stands as the player likely to join Dennis Johnson in the backcourt. The 25-year-old guard from Brigham Young started the entire 1982-83 season, and this summer he worked as hard as any Celtic to improve his position with the defending world champs.

In the interest of harmony, Ainge doesn't like to think of himself as a Gerald Henderson insurance policy.

"To be honest, that hasn't crossed my mind," said Ainge. "Hopefully, everyone's coming into camp with an open mind, whether Gerald's here or not. As far as I'm concerned, Gerald Henderson is a Boston Celtic and he's just taking care of business. But I still feel like there's an opening as far as playing time is concerned. I think there is a job to be won, but not necessarily a starting job. I just want playing time."

Ainge's court time dropped from 26 to 16 minutes per game last season, and he has come to camp intent on impressing coach K.C. Jones.

"I'm more comfortable with the situation and I'm healthy and I think I know what's expected of me a lot more," he said. "I feel that things won't get me down now. Whatever happens, I've been through it all, and I think that makes me more able to handle adversity. I have confidence in myself and the object is to have K.C. and Jimmy (Rodgers) and Chris (Ford) have that same confidence in me."

"If that's the case, I don't mind," responded Jones. "Playing time is tough when you've got a club like this. It's all predicated on what you do on the court. Right now Danny's running more than anybody. He's working and he's impressive."

Is it hard to make plans when two starters are missing?

"It's like when Robert (Parish) was out last year," said Jones. "Kevin (McHale) moved into the spot. That's what we have to do. I got to go with what I got, whatever bodies are here."

With or without Henderson, Ainge said, "This year is crucial for me personally. I have an opportunity to play. I feel like the opportunity is going to be there and it's up to me to make the most of it."

There is no news on the Maxwell and Henderson contract stalemates. Ron Grinker, Maxwell's agent, is out West, working on a deal with the Clippers for rookie Lancaster Gordon. Max plans to be in Boston in a few days and wants to meet with Grinker and Auerbach. "If Max wants to talk to me, let him talk to me," Auerbach said yesterday. "I haven't heard from Max yet, and you know, the longer this goes the worse it becomes."

Dennis Johnson's left wrist is still a little sore. DJ had the wrist in a cast for 12 weeks after he broke it in Game 7 against LA . . . Scott Wedman says his broken leg has been fine since mid-August . . . Quinn Buckner seems to be running well despite a hamstring pull . . . Auerbach is particularly pleased with the progress of second-year man Greg Kite . . . Aerobics instructor Louise Boland is back to help trainer Ray Melchiorre with pre- practice stretching exercises.

No comments: