7.01.2019

ML Carr Making an Impact

November 30, 1984

M. L.CARR - CAREFREE AND CONTRIBUTING CELTIC

The engine rattle has suddenly ceased. The hole in the muffler closed itself. The broken defroster and radio are working again. The old Carr is defying nature and technology.

M.L. Carr has reversed the aging process. In a profession where rust never sleeps and performers gradually deteriorate until they retire, Carr is making his final season his best one in three years.



He is contributing. The image of M. L. as resident goon, towel waver and cheerleader doesn't fit. At present, Carr is Boston's seventh man and third guard. He's one of the reasons the Celtics are 13-1 as they prepare to take on the lowly Cavaliers twice this weekend.

In the last six games, only Celtic starters and Kevin McHale have played more minutes than Carr. K. C. Jones has been using Carr ahead of Quinn Buckner, Scott Wedman, and the three kids at the end of the bench.

Carr has responded. He's shooting 49 percent (22 for 45) from the floor, 100 percent from the line, and is averaging six points and 13.5 minutes since the Celtics invaded Chicago two weeks ago.

When the Celtics trailed Houston by 13 in the first half Wednesday night, Carr was on the floor while Larry Bird and Robert Parish rested on the bench. The Rockets were in a position to blow the game open, but M. L. led Boston's shock troops to eight straight points. He capped the surge with a dazzling behind-the-back feed to a fast-breaking Cedric Maxwell. Max' dunk forced Bill Fitch to call timeout, and brought a huge smile to Carr's face.

It seems hard to believe that Carr was close to retirement last summer. He wanted to go out on top, and met with Celtic president Red Auerbach and GM Jan Volk before deciding to come back for one last season.

Carr came to camp knowing he had a job. Relieved of all pressure, and content to assume any role required, he has emerged as a factor again because he plays without the worries that accompany most players. In a league where stars fret about personal stats, and fringe players worry about job security, he is a carefree vet. It shows.

"It's really true," says Carr, who will be 34 in January. "I'm not playing for a new contract or personal accolades. There's no milestone in my career I'm trying to reach. It's a great feeling at this stage of my career.

"I'm on top of my game now. I'm playing well. I'm not really making mistakes at the offensive end and that's unusual for me. . . . Physically, I'm strong. I have no injuries, no tendinitis in my knees. I'm an older player and don't have any physical injuries. That in itself is amazing.

"Two years ago I was somewhat stagnant, and a lot of it had to do with all the player-coach tension we had. That takes away from me. It's an environment where not everybody is going for the same cause. Now it's a lot easier for me to make it happen and I have no pressure whatsoever."

Carr knows that his minutes could be cut at any time.

"K. C. explained the role to me and I have no problems with it," he says.

The role still includes serving as a spiritual leader, soul brother and intimidator. Carr is equal parts Willie Stargell and Jim Loscutoff.

"I have to make sure the guys don't get down on their own games," he says. "That doesn't mean I don't have my own burning desire to play, but I know it's not always in our best interests."

Meanwhile, his role as resident thug is legend. One New York writer dubbed him, "M.L. of Sam," last spring.

"I'd rather be called a nice guy off the court and a bad guy on the court than vice versa," Carr says. "I'm a physical player, I don't deny that."

In the last couple of weeks, he has been much more than a cheerleader/ wrecking ball. Is the new contribution enough to make him think about sticking around for another year or two?

"No," he says. "This is it. I've been very fortunate. Jan asked me not to say 'this is it' anymore, and I told him I wouldn't say it, but there is no doubt in my mind."

Cedric Maxwell on Boston's victory over the Rockets Wednesday: "The Rockets were kind of like the young gunslinger who comes to town. We're the sheriff and they wanted to play rough with us. They blasted a couple of shots in the first half, then we gunned them down."

"We can be as good as we want to be," added Robert Parish. "We're playing with a confidence we didn't have at this time last year. There was some question as to whether we could win the big one then. Now we know we can."

No comments: