9.24.2019

Quinn Buckner Summoned

May 26, 1985

WILLIAMS LIMPING; BUCKNER GETS CALL

Ray Williams did not practice again yesterday, and Celtics coach K.C. Jones says he's planning on using Quinn Buckner as the first guard off the bench when the Celtics and Lakers tap off in Game 1 of the NBA championship finals tomorrow.



Williams turned his right ankle stepping on Clint Richardson's foot in the second quarter of Wednesday's clincher vs. Philadelphia. He did not play in the second half and hasn't run a step since.

Team physician Thomas Silva said, "I felt he'd be further along at this point. He's got to be ready to practice tomorrow (today) if he's going to make a contribution. I don't believe it's a serious sprain."

"It's feeling much better," Williams said after watching yesterday's practice. "It still hurts a bit in my calf and all the way up to my knee, but I think if I can get out and run I'll be OK. But this is only the first game and I won't take any chances."

Jones was not optimistic. "Right now, it doesn't look that good," he said. "Right now, I'd have to say Quinn will be the third guard. I may use him a lot, I may not - it depends on the situation."

Buckner averaged eight minutes per game in the finals last spring, but did not play against LA in two regular-season games this season. He had tonsilitis when the Celtics visited the Forum, and never got off the pine when LA came to Boston.

"I think Ray will be ready to play by game time," Buckner said after some extra work yesterday. "And he gives us a real plus off the bench. But if not, I've been doing extra running, preparing myself just in case."

Buckner was benched for five of six games during the Cleveland and Detroit playoff series, but started getting minutes in the final two games against the Pistons and played in every game against Philadelphia. He's averaging only five minutes per game in 11 playoff appearances.

Williams' injury brings attention to Boston's weak bench. All five starters played 41 or more minutes in Game 5 vs. Philadelphia, and one wonders if they'll be able to do that in a running game with the Lakers' greyhounds. LA coach Pat Riley has Michael Cooper, Bob McAdoo, Larry Spriggs and Mike McGee all logging 17 or more minutes off the bench in the playoffs. Scott Wedman, Williams and Cedric Maxwell are the only Celtics subs who have been utilized much, and Williams and Maxwell (knee) are hurting.

"The Lakers just use their bench different than we do," said Buckner. "We play all the people in our front line 35 or more minutes. The rest of us have been able to come in for short stretches."

No comments: