3.25.2020

Pierce & Posey

July 8, 2008

While Paul Pierce was offering a testimonial to James Posey yesterday, the Celtics free agent was looking at an increasing pool of suitors. Pierce, in town for his hoop camp at Basketball City, believes the Celts should go the extra mile (i.e., money and years) to keep the valuable reserve. But if the club isn't willing to get closer to the full mid-level exception (about $5.8 million) and increase the term to four years, other clubs may be ready to step in.



While staying with the Celtics still appears to be his first choice, Posey's side was negotiating with different teams yesterday. ``I think a lot of teams figured at the start that they'd have no chance to get James,'' said his representative, Mark Bartelstein. ``They just figured the Celtics wouldn't let him go and they didn't want to waste their time (pursuing Posey). But now that it's gone this long, it's opened the door to a lot of teams who realize they have a chance.''

Pierce hopes they don't. He hopes Posey remains in green when teams are able to begin signing free agents tomorrow. ``He's just huge for us,'' the captain and NBA Finals MVP said. ``And if you've got to spend extra, I probably would. ``You've got to understand the position `Pose' is in. I mean, he's 31 years old, and this is probably going to be the last contract he's going to get, so I guess he's looking for a little extra security - maybe a little more than we're willing to give him. But hopefully we can retain him and he can look at what we offer him as a sense of security.''

Pierce also plans to toss in some sentimentality when he speaks with Posey. ``You know, I try to tell guys winning a championship with the Boston Celtics is not like winning a championship anywhere else,'' he said. ``I think down the road you forget about certain championship teams, but those Boston teams never get forgotten.''

``When I talk to him, I'm going to let him know that - the significance of being a Boston Celtic even after basketball. Hopefully I can convince him to come back for whatever the offer we're giving him. I don't really know the offer that (director of basketball operations) Danny (Ainge) and them are talking about. I know it's less than the mid-level and I know there's teams out there probably trying to give him the mid-level.''

Posey's importance to the Celtics has been raised in the form of a hypothetical. How would things look if the Celts were starting the Finals against the Lakers tomorrow and Posey was playing for L.A.?

Pierce laughed and said, ``They'd be in trouble because he'd have to guard me.''

He then joked about knowing all of Posey's ``nasty defensive tactics,'' then added, ``But, hey, he's a huge key, man. Everybody knows it. A HUGE key in what we try to do. No. 1, he changes what type of team we are out there because of versatility. You put him at the 4 and he's a matchup problem for the other team. Then you move him to the 3 and he can defend there, too. He gives our lineup a whole other dimension. He's tough and he has experience.''

As for his own situation, Pierce intends to get an MRI on his right knee this week.

``I've still got some soreness in it, so hopefully it's nothing major where I'll require surgery,'' he said. ``I'm just going to get an MRI while I'm in town. I doubt if I need any surgery just based on it's getting better and better. I'm going to get the MRI just to take the precaution. A sprain usually takes about three of four weeks, and it's been about that. I've been icing it here and there.''

Pierce flew in from Los Angeles on a red-eye yesterday and will work at his camp this week before attending the ESPYS awards show next week. After that, he plans to get back to serious basketball work. ``It's a whole lot different when you reach the ultimate level,'' he said of life after winning the title. ``The respect you get is like everywhere. The whole world saw what we did.

``The craziest thing about it is, I'm happy we won it and I'm kind of coming down off it, but it's like the last week I've been thinking we've got to do this again. That's what's going to motivate me next year. . . . It was a lot of fun, and I'm ready to get back at it and do it again, man.''

No comments: