3.28.2020

Posey & House Look for Greener Pastures

July 16, 2008

While prized free agent James Posey's situation remains unresolved, it looks as though Eddie House may have one foot out the Celtics' door. The club would like to sign a veteran backup point guard to a one-year minimum deal and take advantage of the league reimbursement that comes with such contracts. But House is looking for security and a raise, which other teams apparently are offering.



``Eddie's not going to sign for one year at the minimum,'' his agent, Mark Bartelstein, said yesterday. ``There's no chance of that. He's got two or three offers on the table right now for more than that.''

The Celts are aware of how much House can help, and he showed strong perseverance late in the postseason after being removed from the rotation in favor of Sam Cassell early on. While some decried House's lack of pure point guard skills, Danny Ainge defended him during the season, saying that he didn't want to lose the contributions House makes while trying to make up for any perceived shortcomings. As an example, he cited Phoenix bringing in Marcus Banks to replace House. It's happened a lot to the veteran.

``I don't think people put the proper value on Eddie House,'' Bartelstein said. ``Because he's not manufactured to specifications as a 1 or a 2, everyone in the business tends to overanalyze things. Eddie doesn't fit the preferred specifications. All he does is help win games.''

``I'm going to have a job,'' he said. ``That's one thing I really don't worry about too much. During the free agency time, I don't get too involved in this business side of it. I get mentally prepared to do my job and get ready to play basketball. ``I don't let that get to me.''

Posey, meanwhile, still is on the market - a fact both the player and the Celtics would like to resolve as soon as possible. ``We're having heated discussions, but as of right now we don't have a deal,'' said Bartelstein, who also represents Posey. The C's may be feeling pressure to get something done with the free agent pool shrinking, but Posey's side remains confident it will not be left in the lurch.

``No,'' said Bartelstein, ``there are too many teams that want him. Who else on the market are you going to sign like him? Look at the wings. (Corey) Maggette is gone. There isn't anybody. Ryan Gomes is restricted, and he's not like Posey.''

Celtics notes

Rajon Rondo is comfortable with his decision to skip workouts with the U.S. national team.
``I actually talked to Danny and he told me he wanted me to get rest and relax and just enjoy my time off,'' Rondo said. ``The next season's coming very soon. ``(It was) my choice actually. I was tired of it. I just wanted to enjoy my time off, enjoy my family and just enjoy my vacation time.''

No comments: