4.08.2020

Smooth Sailing as C's Depart Newport

October 6, 2008

NEWPORT, R.I. - After six straight days of practice, Doc Rivers decided to work on the Celtics' fast break. Following yesterday's session, the coach told players to go back to the hotel, pack their belongings and check out. The Celts then took a bus home later in the afternoon, cutting training camp short by a day.



``I was going to give them one day off, and I liked the way we're going, so I didn't want to (take one off earlier in the stay),'' Rivers said. ``I figured, go one more day, give them (today) off and then we get a day (of practice) before our first preseason game (Wednesday against Philadelphia at UMass). So it works out pretty good.''

Rivers had nothing to complain about on or off the court, as the Celts got in good work at Salve Regina University, allowing them to do some team-building afterward. ``I think it's important to get away, and this was perfect,'' Rivers said. ``The gym was great because (the floor) was soft. (Newport) was just a good location. Beautiful. A lot of restaurants after practice for guys to enjoy. And we got out of it what we needed to get out of it.''

The Celtics practiced at the University of Vermont in Rivers' first year at the helm, but he was rebuffed in attempts to slip away for the week until the team's NBA-chaperoned journey to Rome and London last year. ``I have ammunition now,'' Rivers said with a laugh. ``The first year they let me (go away), and we won the division. The next two years they didn't let me, and we won (33) and 24 games. Last year they let me and we won the world championship. So I think pretty much from now on we're going to be able to go away.''

Don't necessarily expect a New England tour for training camp. Newport worked well.
``This would be a good location,'' said Rivers, looking ahead at future sites for camp. ``I mean, I can't think of a better place without getting on an airplane.'' The players agreed.

``I want to thank everyone for all the hospitality,'' Paul Pierce said loudly as he left the gym.
Added Ray Allen: ``It was a great week. This is a great spot for camp.''
Rivers was generally positive in his assessment when asked about the good and bad from training camp.

``The good was the effort,'' he said. ``Everybody's energy was terrific. I thought everybody came with the right mind-set to practice. The great was the starting lineup clearly had picked up - as far as the unselfish play - where they left off. I mean, at times they even over-pass now, but they always make the right pass (and) they play together.

``The second unit has to improve. I thought Eddie (House) had a terrific camp, so that was another good. And I thought Patrick (O'Bryant) had a terrific camp. Everyone else, they've got work to do. Tony (Allen) was good, too. So those were the eight that I thought excelled. Everyone else can improve.''

Celtics notes

Director of basketball operations Danny Ainge, a former major leaguer, wasn't surprised the Red Sox carried a 2-0 lead into last night's Game 3 of the AL Division Series against the Los Angeles Angels at Fenway Park.

``I think the Angels are a good team, but I can't imagine how there were people who thought that it was a lopsided advantage for them,'' Ainge said. ``When you've got (Jon) Lester, (Josh) Beckett and (Daisuke) Matsuzaka pitching and you've got (Jonathan) Papelbon coming out of the bullpen, that's a pretty darn good roster right there - along with all the hitting the Red Sox have. I think the Red Sox are the best team. I think they're going to win it all.'

No comments: