8.03.2020

Celtics insist three won't be a crowd

September 29, 2007
CELTICS NOTEBOOK
WALTHAM - About a month ago, the Celtics new superstar trio of Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Ray Allen took another of what will likely be countless pictures together. To jazz it up, Pierce suggested he wear Allen's jersey, Garnett wear Pierce's jersey backward, and Allen wear Garnett's jersey backward.
Allen said at Media Day yesterday the aforementioned picture could stand out in a season of high expectations for the CelticsGarnettthought it was "hot," too. The picture could be symbolic of how these stars are willing to put aside their egos to win a 17th NBA title for the Celtics, and a first for each of them.
"We're all similar in a lot of ways," Garnett said. "We are all passionate. The three of us have a high competitive spirit. The three of us hate to lose. The thing people probably don't know is that we are very, very grounded people.
"I know Ray. I know Paul. When I've known them, it's been like knowing myself."
NBA players typically do interviews and pictures solo during media days. But after a suggestion from Celtics director of public relations Heather Walker, PierceGarnett, and Allen sat side-by-side wearing white Celtics uniforms as they took part in a 17-minute session with a media horde that included local and national journalists.
They seemed very comfortable with each other at a podium and shared the spotlight smoothly. Garnett and Allen, who were both acquired in blockbuster trades, also loved the feel of the Celtics jerseys.
"This is probably about our third time putting it on," Allen said. "Every time we put it on, no offense to the teams we played on prior to this, but we always comment on how much better this jersey feels than the last team we played for. It's definitely a great fit for us."
Said Garnett: "I love the way this feels."
Garnett expressed being in awe of the 16 NBA title banners that hung from the rafters at the Celtics' practice facility.
"I know they share my hunger for a championship," Pierce said. "Every day I walk in this building and see these banners up. I want to say one day that I was responsible for one of them."
Said Garnett: "The best part of coming in here is potentially three of us creating our own history here. I'm looking forward to that."
Coach Doc Rivers said he did not like the nickname "The Big Three" to describe his new superstar troika because he thought it showed disrespect for Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Robert Parish.
When asked how he thought PierceGarnett, and Allen got along so far, Rivers said, "They get along great, but they haven't been through anything yet. Right now, everybody gets along on every team."
Big addition
Guard Tony Allen recently said he could see "The Big Three" being "The Big Four" with him healthy. Allen missed the final 48 games last season because of a left knee ACL injury that required surgery. But yesterday, the fourth-year Celtic said "The Big Four" projection was not serious. "When I'm healthy, judge me that way," Allen said. "Don't judge me when I'm not 100 percent, that's all that I was saying. When I'm healthy, I feel like I'm a force to be reckoned with. That's all. I wasn't saying I was bigger than nobody or better than nobody. 'The Big Four' was just a joke." On how Allen has looked in workouts, Rivers said, "When he's on the floor by himself, he dunks and he's the Tony Allenwe know. But when he gets on the floor 5 on 5, he's a shooter and he doesn't want to dunk in traffic. It's mental and it's [tough] to get through." ... Rivers said the Celtics will have a walkthrough meeting at their practice facility today before flying to Rome to begin training camp. Their first exhibition game is next Saturday against Toronto in Rome.

No comments: