5.31.2008

Rajon Risin'



When Rajon Rondo is doing his thing and doing it well, the Lakers don't have anyone at the point comparable. He rebounds, he deflects, he gets loose balls, and he harasses the hell out of whomever he's guarding.

Derek Fisher?

He can knock down a spot up J.

The Celtics beat the Lakers by 20 at Staples with Rajon Rondo watching the game from the sidelines. Tony Allen manned the point in that game. Take a moment and let that sink in.

The early rumor is that Kobe will guard Rajon.

Whoa!!!

Talk about a meteoric rise in stock. On draft night two years ago, all Jay Bilus kept saying was that Rondo couldn't shoot it in the ocean. Last week, Bob Ryan said Rajon can't break down his defender off the dribble for a jumper. Yet, with less than five minutes to go, Rajon hit two huge jump shots, one from about 20 feet out and the other after he faked Rip Hamilton out of his shorts to free himself up for a J.

The Lakers have apparently decided that one key to beating the Cs is stop Rajon Rondo. This objective is so important that they are assigning their best defender to accomplish it.

I repeat: Whoa!!!

I understand that part of the theory is that Kobe may not have to work as hard defending Rondo as he would defending Allen or Pierce, but exactly who will guard Allen and Pierce?

The European three-point shooters?

Derek Fisher?

Luke Walton?

Should be interesting.

6 comments:

FLCeltsFan said...

YAHOO!!! My favorite blogger is back!!!!

Lex said...

Thanks, FCF.

Thanks for coming back to my blog!

You're my favorite reader...

Anonymous said...

I rarely post, anywhere; but I just wanted to let you know that I think you know your Celtics! And FLCeltsfan, the info you organize and provide makes you the MVP of Celtics "Internet" Nation! Please keep up the good work! BEAT L.A.!

Lex said...

Wow.

Two high compliments.

Thanks for weighing in!

Sounds like FCF and I should start a joint enterprize..

Anonymous said...

I love Rajon as much as anyone, but they are not putting Kobe Bryant on him to stop him. They would put Kobe on Rajon in order to allow Kobe to roam and not have to tire himself out on the defensive end by running through a gauntlet of screens chasing Ray Allen. Basically, they would put Kobe on Rondo because they can't think he can shoot, just like every other team. He'll just have to prove them wrong again.

Lex said...

I know, I know.

I did throw a paragraph in there about Kobe defending Rondo to give him a break on D.

But that does raise the question who derek fisher would guard.