7.17.2008

Cowens Recalls the Night He Slept on a Park Bench after Winning the 1974 Championship

"What's better, to win the thing on the road or at home?" former Celtics center Dave Cowens, another part of last night's telecast, was asked.

"I don't know," he said. "The two times I was there, we won on the road."

Cowens probably is the most legendary celebrator in Celtics history. In 1974, when he won his first championship in Milwaukee, he . . . well, let him tell the story.

"We won the championship on a Sunday afternoon," he said. "There was champagne in the locker room, and I took about four bottles with me. I think I left my shoes in the locker room so I could have room in my bag for the champagne.

"We flew back to Boston after the game. We had the big thing at the airport. I went back to my older brother's house, and we hung around. About 8:30 or so, I said, 'I'm not hanging around here all night. This is my night.' My brother said I was on my own, and out I went."

He visited friends around the city. He shared his joy with everyone else. He rode with the moment. He visited and visited, one place after another. At the end, he somehow wound up at the Boston Common. Alone.

"I knew I shouldn't be driving," Dave Cowens said. "I was in the Common. I spotted a park bench. I lay down and fell asleep. When I woke up, the sun was out and businessmen in suits were walking past on their way to work on a Monday morning. I was hoping nobody saw me, but about four hours later, I was at the parade and city celebration, and people were asking me about it.

"The parade went right past where I'd been sleeping. Thank goodness I woke up before it got there."

No comments: