8.01.2008

Jerry West on Russell v. Wilt

After Bill Russell and the Boston Celtics had beaten Wilt Chamberlain and the Los Angeles Lakers in the 1968-69 National Basketball Association championship series, Jerry West was asked who was the better center.

I think Wilt Chamberlain is a better basketball player than Bill Russell, but for the one game I think I'd rather have Bill Russell. It would be hard to explain without hurting somebody's feelings. I think Chamberlain is a better rebounder, a better scorer and a better shooter. I think Wilt blocks more shots than Russell. But if I had to pick one guy for one game, it'd be Russell. It's incredible what he does for his team. It's hard to imagine how one guy can do so much for his teammates. When they see him on the court, they're different players. I can't think of any guy in any sport at any time that has dominated his game the way Russell has. I think the players in the league respect him the most of any player.

No comments: