8.01.2008

A Laker Fan Makes a Jaw-Dropping Concession


So I spent the weekend with my brother.

Yes, that brother, the die-hard Laker fan.

All the championship gear was on-hand and worn with a flourish. Let’s just say I’ve never changed clothes so many times over the course of two days.

No, he was not a happy camper.

Still, he did provide the most quotable moment of the weekend.

Lex: "So, bro, between the time Magic Johnson entered the league and the moment Michael Jordan entered the league, who was the second best guard in the NBA?"

Almost faster than I could ask the question came his answer:

“DJ.”

"No freakin’ way! I’ve asked loyal Celtics fans this same question and you know what answer I get? Sidney Moncrief. "

"Who?"

Da bro earned a high-five on that one.

Of course, he knew who Sidney Moncrief was. But did Moncrief ever win a Finals MVP? Did he ever shut down Magic Johnson in an NBA Finals? Did he ever hit one nerveless jumper after another in crunch time of NBA playoff games? [On a less hyperbolic note, heading into game 4 of the 1986 Finals, DJ led both teams in defensive rebounds, free throw attempts, and free throws made. That's my dog.]

So Lakers fans aren’t all bad.

Not only that, but he wasn’t done.

"Keeping DJ out of the Hall is a bigger injustice than baseball voters convincing themselves that Dave Concepcion was just another shortstop. When a big game is on the line, I’d rather have DJ on my team than LeBron James."

OMG!

I knew there was a reason we were related.

No comments: