Frustrated with Dating?

Frustrated with dating? Check out this site, where you'll find your old buddy Lex has finally returned to writing original pieces. Hopefully reading them will be as entertaining as it was living through them.

8.13.2008

Red Auerbach: The Harvard Business Review Interview

Part 14

HBR: Speaking of owners, you've worked for two, both named Brown--Walter and John Y. Brown.

AUERBACH: They're like day and night. Walter Brown was one of the finest human beings I've ever been associated with. I learned a lot from him. Hell, I worked for him for 16 years and never had a contract.

HBR: You never had a contract? How did you do business?

AUERBACH: At the end of every year I'd say, "What's the deal for next year, Walter?" He'd say, "What do you want?" Sometimes I'd tell him I didn't want anything. We didn't make any money and the club was just pretty good. Sometimes I'd come in and say that I wanted more money. He'd say, "Fine, what else do you want?" I'd say, "Nothing." We'd have a discussion of no more than a minute.

We'd end up making the deal in the washroom every time. His office door was always open and there was always somebody in there. I used to get mad. I'd say, "For crying out loud, can't we sit and talk?" And he'd say, "All right, let's go to the bathroom and get the thing done."

1 comment:

Lex said...

This one's a classic.

Follow by Email