10.04.2008

Darius Digs Da Supporting Role

In the past, I was mostly the first or second option. On this team I'm one of the help guys. It's easier that way. You've got a lot of weight on your shoulders when you play on any other team. On a team like this you don't have to do too much, just play a lot of defense.

--D.Miles

Darius Miles was a rock star as far as high school basketball achievements are concerned. Most NBA players are. His rock-star status translated into being chosen third overall in the 2000 NBA draft.

But not all rock stars are alpha dogs.

Before year 2 in Clipperland, Miles was asked whether he was comfortable coming off the bench behind Lamar Odom. “I welcome it.” Miles said. “By the time I come in, Lamar has worn down the defense and I can do more damage.”

Before year two in Cavalierdom, Miles was asked if he was jealous of the attention LeBron James was getting. “No, I’m glad everyone is looking at him. I can focus more on doing my job.”

Before year one with the Jailblazers, Miles was asked if he felt any pressure from being made the cornerstone of the franchise. “Not at all,” Miles said. “It’s gonna take ten guys to win anyway.”

I don’t want to read to much into these quotes, but I do see a pattern.

Just because a basketball player, any basketball player, posts 20, 10, and 8 in high school, wins Mr. Basketball, and gets chosen in the NBA lottery doesn’t mean he wants to be THE MAN. Sometimes your natural gifts and innate abilities take you down paths you might not otherwise intend or plan.

Stated differently, not everyone is a leader, even though they might get thrust into that role.

If healthy, Darius Miles might just prove to have the classic sixth-man mentality.

While James Posey was a big, big part of the championship run last year. Other than a handful of games in the playoffs and during the regular season, he didn’t consistently have a Bill-Walton type of impact off the bench.

I'm not saying Darius will replicate the Mountain Man's effort in 1986.

Come on. No one will ever do that again.

At the same time, being a successful bench player is at least 33% mental--understanding and accepting your role and being able to find ways to pick your spots and thrive in it.

Sounds to me like Darius has been waiting for a gig like this one since he came into the league.


No comments: