1.17.2009

"That's a lot of Hostility"

I watched the Magic-Purple game last night with some folks who know me but don't know much about my basketball-watching habits other than that I am a Celtics' fan.

Their initial assessment was surprise:

"I thought you were a Celtics' fan! When did you start rooting for the Orlando Magic?"

"Tonight." I said. "For me the basketball world is reduced to two things, rooting for the green and rooting against the purple."

"That's a lot of hostility, Lex. I'm not sure I'd call what I see rooting against a team so much as an expression of Two Minutes Hate from Orwell's 1984."

They had a point.

As a general matter, I can get through most every day without even thinking about the purple, much less getting worked up over them. But once I commit to watching them play, it's as if I summon up every negative thought and feeling from the 1980s and just spend the entire game venting, or maybe the the right word is "exploding." I'll never forget game 5 of the 1986 Western Conference Finals because it was such a cathartic moment.

"Yeah, Lex. I'm gonna have to think about this. You're so mellow. It's hard for me to imagine that something like a basketball game can transform you into a raging lunatic."

"Every basketball season has two ways to end happily," I said. "The Celtics can win and the Lakers can lose. I can live with the Celtics losing. I can't live with the Lakers winning. So every big game they lose is another sign that I'll have a happy offseason."

Silence descended over the table as they absorbed this odd human behavior that I've allowed to occupy my being.

1 comment:

FLCeltsFan said...

I don't see it as odd at all. My two favorite teams have always been the Celtics and any team playing the Lakers. I can't stand the thought of the Lakers winning either... It goes against the laws of all that is right in the world!

Your Daily Run

Your Daily Run
Loading...

Follow by Email