9.14.2009

KG in the Post: How Much Will We See Him There?

http://nicekicks.com/images/koc-dec-31-2.jpg

One of the knocks on KG in Minnesota was that he played like he was trying to avoid contact. I was just watching an interview with Paul Pierce from the 2008 NBA playoffs, and Pierce said "the game is much easier for Ray and I when Kevin is on the block. You see the other team starting to fidget, focusing their attention on him. This gives Ray and I a lot more freedom."

You can finish Paul's thought for him.

Garnett did seem to play more in the post during his first two seasons with the Boston Celtics than he had with the Minnesota Timberwolves. For the most part, I agree with Paul Pierce: the Ticket was very effective in the post on both sides of the ball, even when matched up against hulks like Tyson Chandler or Shaquille O'Neal.

I would assume Garnett won't get any more of those assignments. A question remains, however, how much, if at all, will we see KG in the paint, given the condition of his right knee. If healthy, KG will still be a beast as a weak-side shot blocker. Beyond that, I'm not sure how much we'll see him in the post.

Thoughts?

No comments: