10.06.2009

Doc: Shelden has a Terrific 15-Footer

Asked yesterday what was expected of Williams, who joined the Celtics as an unrestricted free agent in August, Rivers replied: “Very similar to Baby’s role - terrific 15-foot shooter, can pop, he’s strong, can really rebound. That’s his role.

LINK

Remember all the articles (here and here) saying Shelden couldn't shoot? Sometimes the best thing you can do is put down the calculator and just watch. What I've seen is a kid with mechanically sound jumper. Maybe he's missed in the past because playing against oversized opponents in the wrong offense. Whatever, Shelden unveiled the jumper in the scrimmage the other night, and it looked like it always has--just fine.

3 comments:

Lex said...

“I think this is a good situation for Shelden,’’ Rivers said. “Everywhere he’s gone, he’s been like the high draft pick people were expecting to carry the team and he doesn’t have to do that here - he can just play, and I think that will be good for him. When you go in the top 15 everyone projects you to do that and, usually, of the top 15, one of those guys has the actual ability to do that. The problem is, everyone expects you to do that and it’s a lot of pressure and I’m sure he felt that, as well.’’

Exactamundo.

If you forget that he was the fifth pick and focus on what he can do as 10th, 11th, or 12th man, all of a sudden Give It To Me Big Shelden can be a valuable piece to the puzzle. The real question is can he bring more to the table than POB and Mikki Moore????

Lex said...

“They want me to come in and play defense, rebound the basketball, be able to go out there and do the little things,’’ Williams said while preparing for tomorrow’s exhibition season opener against Houston in Hidalgo, Texas. “That’s what I’m trying to do. It’s kind of like being a freshman at Duke all over again. You already have a great group of guys, and with the tradition we have here . . . so I just have to come in here and find my niche, and go from there.

It really is that simple.

Lex said...

Williams was a starter with the Hawks in 2006-07, but was demoted to the bench after 31 games. Williams had to adjust to complementary roles with Atlanta, Sacramento, and Minnesota.

“Different players take different journeys,’’ Williams said. “I’m still in the league. I’m still here and I play each and every day. Like I say, different people take different paths. Obviously, being a competitor, I want something more. But I’m still here. People see something in me, and I’m going to continue to keep going.’’


Atta boy