10.23.2009

News Flash: The Celtics are Getting their Props

If you've been reviewing the same NBA previews I have, then you've noticed a trend. When the month of October began, all we heard about were the Lakers. One reviewer went so far as to call this Laker roster as good a roster as there's ever been. The Celtics? Well, they were taking another step downward on their inevitable return to oblivion. I'm not sure how long I could have kept blogging had I been forced to stomach that kind of talk all year.

But a funny thing happened once the pre-season games started. The tide began to shift. Now the Celtics' chances are winning a championship are discounted only because of their age and potential health issues. Pretty much every observer I've read in the last two weeks has paid homage to the Celtics' starting line-up as "the best in the NBA," while their bench is earning only slightly less respect.

Translation: If the Celtics' stay healthy and spry come April 20, they're gonna win it all.

Since this is the conclusion I've reached, I'm cool with ranking the Celtics anywhere in the top ten to start the season. As long as we're all on the same page once the playoffs start, no need for a soapbox today.

No comments: