11.21.2009

Fernsten Happy with Knicks

1983-84 Boston Celtics
Knicks 110, Celtics 103
Record: 9-3
11/19/1983

Eric Fernsten likes his new team. Now all that needs to happen is that they like him enough to put him on the 12-man roster.Fernsten, the former Celtic, was back in town with the New York Knicks. Currently, he is on the disabled list with an "achilles problem." But mostly, he is idle until the Knicks can decide about making a trade that would free up a spot on the roster.

"I was very happy playing for Hubie Brown before I was hurt," said Fernsten, who still has a lawsuit pending against the Celtics. "I've never worked so hard in a training camp as I did for Hubie, but I loved it. I found out some things about myself. I can be more of a help for the Knicks than I was with the Celtics. With them, the level of talent was so high, I couldn't do as much as I'm able to do away from them."

MISC

The Knicks (5-5) got a boost last night with the return of veteran guard Rory Sparrow. He had played only two minutes in the last four games because of a bruised toe. With a healthy Sparrow, the Knicks can press better with the No. 1 unit, rather than depend strictly on the second unit, says Brown . . . Brown said he is pleased with the work of Ray Williams as a point guard despite the large number of turnovers. "He's new and still learning our system. Still, since Ray took over, we won three of four games, and should have beaten Philadelphia . . . Over the 37 years Boston and New York have been playing, the Celtics lead in victories, 196-116. The two teams have split five playoff series dating back to 1950-51, but Boston has one more win, 21-20 . . . The Celtics will pay their first visit to Philadelpha tonight (7:30, Ch. 4)

No comments: