2.14.2010

The Battle of 17-15

There's been a lot of good days in my Celtic fanhood, June 17, 2008, and June 8, 1986, being two of them. But let me tell you about another day that might surprise you. December 11, 1987. The Celtics lost. To the Lakers.

Let me explain.

The 1986-87 season was very painful for me. As I've said before, it was like 100 games of watching the Beatles break-up over and over. After that season, I vowed never to inflict that kind of pain on myself again.

December 11, 1987, was a Friday night. The Celtics faced off against the Lakers. Their first match-up since the previous June. I was starting my first semester of law school. Finals of a different kind were upon me. But it was Friday night. So I took some time off to watch the game, right? Nope. I watched none of it. Didn't even tape it.

So when my brother, the Lakers fan, called me moments after Magic threw in another miraculous shot to down the Celtics yet again, I was busy studying, listening to classical music. My mood? Low key and focused.

Hello? (I figured the Lakers won, and held the phone a good foot away from ear, prepared to hear nothing but a loud scream).

What's going on? (The giddy sound of his voice confirmed my suspicion).

I'm studying.

Oh. Did you see the game?

No.

The Celtics won.

That's too bad (yup, that's what I said).

That's too bad?

Dude, I'm studying. Do you have anything important to tell me?

Yeah, the Lakers won on a last second shot by Magic! Owwwwwwww!!

Good deal. You got anything else?

I don't remember how the rest of the conversation went. I just know he was totally deflated thereafter. Awwww. The Celtics may have lost. But chalk up a victory for this Celtics fan over that Lakers fan.

Where I'm headed with this is as follows: While the rest of Celtics Nation sits by in a morose stupor as Danny Ainge figures out his best way to impersonate Kevin McHale, when McHale attempted to salvage one more championship run with a series of boneheaded moves as GM of the Minnesota Timberwolves, my step is actually a little lighter today.

Why?

The Cavs might get Amare Stoudemire.

This may further depress the rest of Celticdom, but not me. If they get Amare, the Celtics still stand about an 8-12 percent chance of winning it all. But the Cavs chances improve drastically, and mostly at the expense of the Lakers. Bron-Bron won't be denied this year. That's where my money is.

And that's OK with this Celtics fan.

That just makes the 2009-10 season a draw.

The score is still 17-15.

Celtics.

8 comments:

Ryan said...

I remember that game as though it was yesterday. The part everyone remembers is Magic throwing in that runner from the corner to win it (and it was a great shot). What I remember is the play before when Ainge missed his free throw. James Worthy told the official before the FT that they wanted a time out. Ainge missed the second, it bounced around off some hands before a Celtic ended up with the rebound. However, the official blew the whistle the moment it touched a Lakers' hand even though they didn't have possession. The Lakers got possession and the rest is history.

Matty said...

do you think the c's will end up pulling off a major trade? or just add a backup player?

p.s (i can't see it at work, but is rondo back in team usa?

1111 said...

Amarè and Shaq didnt works well be4... dunno if LBJ can make it works.
anyway i still have faith in the Cs, and think we just need focus and healt, not a move.

Lex said...

Thanks for sharing, Ryan. Good stuff.

Lex said...

Hey Matty,

Part of me thinks no trade will happen, because even trades people are excited about rallen for jamison/butler are questionable deals.

On the other hand,there's a small chance someone could offer up a player danny can't refuse.


My guess is a small tweak or two.

Maybe scalbrine for a younger, more athletic 4/5?

Lex said...

I kind of like JJ Hickson, 1111. He's one of those no name guys who fits in well on a great team. Still, Amare would seem to be an upgrade.

1111 said...

Amaré is an upgrade on almost everyone Lex! ;)
just don't think he can fit well... but maybe is just that i dont like it so i undervalue him: bit too soft, bit too egoist and not a defensive force at all...

Lex said...

It's all such a crap shoot.

With the cavs, however, you still have the best play in the league.

For the Celtics, absolutely everything has to go right for them to win it.