4.03.2012

"Bill Russell" Still Blocking Shots

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1228/bos_u_stiemsma_cr_200.jpg

Let me be honest.

I was expecting to write this piece as a total lampoon of Boston Celtic rookie Greg Steimsma. I mean, how could it be anything else, right? When you are a 26-year-old rookie, and an NBA Hall-of-Famer compares you to one of the greatest shot-blockers in the history of the sport, what other choices does a blogger have than taking a tone of mock and derision.

Well, Mr. Steimsma may be no Bill Russell. And certainly he hasn't lived up to hype created when he blocked 6 shots in his first NBA game and Tommy Heinsohn made the ill-advised comparison. But let me say one thing with a straight face. Greg Steimsma blocked 2.3 shots per game in the month of February (he was injured for most of March), playing just 18 MPGs. You extrapolate that out over 48 minutes, and you are looking at a BPG average that exceeds 6.

Not too shabby.

Sure, nobody plays 48 minutes.

 But this is the sort of contribution that can make a difference, especially if combined with activity on the glass and some timely drawn charges on D.

4 comments:

Lex said...

First mobile post

Formatting needs some work

Lex said...

Kidding aside, having guys named steimsa, hollins and johnson as my backup bigs heading into the playoffs scares me

Partner, Ryvin Wallace Group said...

the blog is looking good! nice to see you posting with more frequency as we head towards the playoffs...

I like the steamer as well - he is not intimidated and looks like a good teammate to boot.

On another note, I think starting Jesus ahead of Avery is more about respect than good strategy.

Lex said...

Thank you, Sir.

I appreciate your input.

Avery has come along way.

I would seriously think about giving him the starting job.